Monday, December 3, 2007

Of beauty, child actors and strippers.

Yes, it is that time of the year again. The winter has started, and true to Navin's expectation of me, time to blog! 
Let me just start off by saying that the long break was sort of a writer's block, possibly my first step towards world-wide recognition [:P]. And in true literary fashion, I am writing this in my office, looking out of the window, with a mug of hot chocolate to give me excellent company. It is snowing outside, and from where I sit, it is looking absolutely gorgeous. I have a feeling, I have outgrown the morbidity of the winter, and have actually started liking it. Or, since it is just the beginning, I am just going through a phase. Only time will tell. 
But here is the setting, looking out of the window, I can see the glittering, Marriott, and the Broad institute. The trees along the Main street which runs besides the two buildings, have turned red and purple. And as my servility to beauty of various forms goes, I just can't stop looking out! Hence this outlet for procrastination. 
Went through a couple of interesting articles today, as part of my diurnal cursory browsing of NYTimes. One is the relocation of the child actors in Kite Runner, to UAE, before the film releases in Afghanistan. Apparently, Paramount has taken up the whole financial burden of their relocation to a safer place.  This is very nice of Paramount, but, I guess it smells of a sequel in the making. In any case, they did a fantastic job in the movie, and probably deserve more than the censure they would be dished out in Afghanistan for the "culturally inflammatory rape scene". 
But the more interesting article was that about one Ms Cody, the writer of the screenplay of the movie "Juno". Her story is that she did something crazy, wrote a blog and some producer noticed it, and now she is making millions. If you want to fill in the unimportant details, you can read the article. But the moral of her story is, as Manas put it, it is never too late to become a stripper.  
Damn, it has stopped snowing now. I wonder if this is some sort of a wicked ploy of my advisor to make me start working. I better stop then, maybe I am being watched. 

Oh, yes, for the perverse minded, I am sorry if you have been disappointed after being drawn into reading the article.   

3 comments:

navin said...

It is indeed never too late to become a stripper but what would matter is if its pays to become one ... so many of us keep doing crazy stuff but few like Ms Cody make millions, so I guess at the end it should be worth the meat :-)

Unknown said...

Raghu, remember this ..You are being watched. You are ALWAYS being watched :)

Regarding the KR issue, the parents and the kids did not have the complete idea about the so-called "culturally inflammatory rape scene". Paramount as of now is doing the minimum it should do. If something like this happened in US, their ass would be sued for millions.

kads said...

dude...I loved the setting [:)]...and the hot chocolate was the best part [;)]...'doing something crazy' has been coming up in a lot of things I have listened to/watched/read in the recent past...maybe it calls for a post on my blog [:P]...mind you, I am also in the 'writer's block' phase!